1. To promote a national awareness and appreciation for poetry as an art form.
2. To encourage persons to develop their talent and writing skills in writing Poetry.
3. To provide machinery through which the work of members can be promoted and protected.
4. Co-ordination with international bodies for the promotion of poetry locally and internationally.
5. To use Poetry as a tool for social and human development.
How do we meet our aims?
Firstly, the Circle of Poets of Trinidad and Tobago provides a forum that poets can meet to share and develop poetry writing skills. This has also been extended into reciting poetry for performances. To complement these, the Circle of Poets also produces Poetry Day celebrations and showcases of Poetry by its members.
In 1999 the Circle of Poets published, "Circle of Thoughts", an anthology of members' poems. Again in 2013 the Circle of Poets launched this website and published, "Three Sixty Degrees", it's second anthology of members' poems. In addition to this, some members of the Circle of Poets have published on their own and their poetry books are also displayed on this website.
Circle of Poets members have represented the art form in many ways over the years. In fact, Circle of Poets members have been used to adjudicate for various poetry and spoken word events nationwide. These include, the National Library's Verse Competition; The Tobago Word Festival; The First Citizens Bank National Poetry Slam, The Emancipation Support Committee's Spoken Word Competition and at various other poetry forums.